Re: X-post: Public library wifi oddity, Linux vs Android

On 2023-08-11, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>> XXXX "community" libraries offer free wifi, courtesy (?) of *cough* O2. Tech
>> support is non-existent. If it works it works, if it doesn't, tough.
>> The last few weeks I noticed wifi performance degrading. Today, I couldn't
>> even connect the wifi network.

I have the Intel Wireless 7265 and only installed debian packages. Why
install other things? They require to do so to be able to connect their
network?

Do you have some firewall setup? Do you have something in logs indicating
timeout or something else? Perhaps try tcpdump to see if something weird
use/block your network.

> Somebody suggested that the Wifi provider might have a rule in place whereas
> if they see "Linux", they would rate-limit  or throttle the connection.

Providers could rate-limit everybody. And also limit volume, and so block
once a limit is reached. Do you have an aggreement with some indications
on this?