Re: Why or why not back up "/lost+found"

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 03:42:01PM -0400, Default User wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When backing up my system I have been using this exclusions list:
>
> /dev/*
> /proc/*
> /sys/*
> /tmp/*
> /run/*
> /mnt/*
> /media/*
> /lost+found
>
> There are many sources online that suggest that "/lost+found" should be
> excluded from backups, but I can't seem to find a good explanation for
> why.

Squinting the other way (which doesn't contradict what others have
said in this thread): if you see anything in lost+found, the idea
is that you do something about it (rescue it, throw it away). Thus,
the content of lost+found is (or should be) as temporary as, say,
/tmp. And you don't back up that.

So I'd tend to exclude the special "lost+found" dirs (perhaps not
any dir called like that). But then, it's not that important.

Cheers