Re: why dpms in bullseye fails?

On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 hlyg wrote:
> it used to work
>
> to make troubleshooting easy, i change to 30 from default 600
>
> xset dpms 30 30 30
>
> xset q

> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
>   timeout:  0    cycle:  600

> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 30    Suspend: 30    Off: 30
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> it doesn't sleep after 30 seconds

It works for me on my bullseye install. I have no display manager, and
use startx to start X sessions. My ~/.xsession just launches a window
manager (ratpoison). Maybe this accounts for the difference we each
see.

There are some notes about DPMS here that may help you:

 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Display_Power_Management_Signaling#Modify_DPMS_and_screensaver_settings_with_a_command

In particular, maybe one of these two:

 * XScreenSaver and xfce4-power-manager use their own DPMS settings
   and override xset configuration. See

   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/XScreenSaver#DPMS_and_blanking_settings
   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xfce#Display_blanking

 * If using the command manually in a shell you may need to prefix it
   with sleep 1; for it to work correctly, for example

   $ sleep 1; xset dpms force off

But there are more notes on that archlinux DPMS page.

--
Hackers are free people. They are like artists. If they are in a good
mood, they get up in the morning and begin painting their pictures.