Re: 11 to 12 - fresh install or upgrade

Juan R.D. Silva composed on 2023-08-06 17:45 (UTC-0400):

> It's time to move from bullseye to bookworm. Based on the previous years
> experience I've always preferred a fresh install vs. an upgrade, since
> the freshly installed system always run smoother and was not littered
> with any old junk left from the old system.

> However, things might have changed/improved. Thus I decided to ask the
> community.

> Could you share your opinion based on personal experience? To install or
> to upgrade? Mine is fairly simple desktop system for home use. Nothing
> special, except maybe the need of dual architecture support and Wine to
> run one special little app.

IME, upgrades are by far the lesser nuisance, so much so that I can't remember
when I last did a fresh installation on any PC I own. It may have been in 2018. I
have >25 PCs running Bookworm and Bullseye. Most still also have Buster. A handful
have Trixie. A Buster was probably my last fresh installation.

One distinction here is none normally use a DE from standard repos. Installations
all started with no DE or IceWM, to which Trinity Desktop Environment was added.
Another is all are on wired static IP's, and post-Buster, all are doing it on
systemd-networkd.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata