Re: Adding backup storage

On 8/5/23 16:31, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
I've an asus mobo with 6 sata ports, 5 are busy.

I also have another 6 port with 4 ports tied up serving a raid 10 for /home.
That leaves 2 ports empty on that controller.

I have a handful of 2T SSD's. If I can find another 4 pin empty pigtail on
the psu, I'll plug 2 of these 2T's into that aux controller,

What doc should I follow to bring these 2 drives into one volume managed
partition for amanda's use as a vtape device? I'd assume the volume
management works by now, but it was a data losing disaster 15+ years ago
when I last tried it.

I could, since amanda is quite versatile, set it up as two separate vtape
drives.  So I'm open to a pro/con discussion.  Thanks all.

Set it up as two drives. There are no advantages to doing it
another way (that preserves all the capacity), only
disadvantages.

If you have the money available, I would consider using an SSD
as a spool drive and a big spinning disk on the other port as
the 'tape'. But maybe you aren't going to need more than 4 TB of
backup storage; I dunno.

I'm already set with a 500G SSD as spool, amazing how fast it works, but Greg, I'd had it with spinning rust, the last two seacrates I bought, a couple 2T's, lasted about 60 days from install to disappearing off the end of the cable in the middle of the night, I figure that was a lesson that SSD's have really "arrived".

1 was my main drive for amanda, and 1 was the operating drive for buster, a failure that started this whole nightmare for me and all of you folks trying to help, something I appreciate a lot but don't say it often enough. Thank you all.

I have SSD's down to 40G's all over the place, the original stuff, some 5 years old, the only failure was a usb converter to use them on my rpi4b that runs my bigger lathe. Replaced the adapter with a star-tech, drive was fine and still is. I am not buying any more spinning rust.

For those Armbian boards with usb3 ports that serve as their own devel platforms here, a star-tech usb-3 to sata works at 500+ meg speeds. To bad that u-boot can't be easily trained to boot from them. I just did a survey, I have 2 old 250G rust drives in 7 machines left. Both are in old Dells w/o enough sata ports to do quick disk to disk backups, else they would already be converted.

Thanks Greg.
-dsr-
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.