Re: Corrupt root filesystem

On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 06:26:28PM +0100, Mick Ab wrote:
> The error messages were of the form :-
>
>   "/dev/mapper/vgpcname-root contains a file system with errors, check
> forced.
>    Inodes that were a part of a corrupted orphan linked lost found.
>    /dev/mapper/vgpcname-root : UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
> manually.(i.e .,
>    without -a or -p options). fsck exited with status code 4. The root
>    filesystem on /dev/mapper/vgpcname-root requires a manual fsck
>
> There is then a flashing prompt after "(initramfs)".

So, first things first, it's not "before reboot".
It's "during the boot". And note that initramfs ran fsck, but it failed.

Second, yes, that particular filesystem is indeed required fsck.

> The following command was thus run :-
> sudo fsck -y /dev/mapper/vgpcname-root
> The PC could then be rebooted.

You've got it wrong here again.
During initramfs stage root filesystem is mounted readonly.
This allows it to be checked by fsck, without causing an additional
damage.
And, since it's a root filesystem, it's *required* to reboot after the
fsck.

> The file system is ext4.

Thanks. It's a rare sight these days that people actually answer all the
questions they're asked.

Now, assuming you're using a stock Debian kernel, it's unlikely to be a
kernel bug. Likewise, we can exclude some "user-firendly" software (I'm
looking at you, GNOME).

Which leaves us with the hardware fault.

Hate to bring it to you, but additional information would be welcome.
You're using lvm2, it's obvious.
But which drive your physical volume resides on?
I.e. make, model, SMART attributes if any?

Reco