Re: Monitor Problem

Stephen P. Molnar composed on 2023-07-06 12:02 (UTC-0400):

> I changed the cable and get the same results.

Meaning what, another VGA cable, or a digital cable (DisplayPort, HDMI or DVI)??

VGA is an analog technology that dates back into the 1980s. Developers are
becoming fewer and fewer who use it, leading to potential regressions in software
that uses it. Digital is more competent. Use it if you can, and surely you can
with both your HD5450 and your LG digital flat panel display. Both DisplayPort and
HDMI provide the benefit of also carrying audio to your display, should that be
your wish.

> Then I googled 'linux force vga monitor mode'. This resulted in:

>  1. Open a Terminal by CTRL + ALT + T
>  2. Type xrandr and ENTER
>  3. Note the display name usually VGA-1 or HDMI-1 or DP-1
>  4. Type cvt 1920 1080 (to get the --newmode args for the next step) and
>     ENTER
>  5. Type sudo xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00" 173.00 1920 2048 2248
>     2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync and ENTER

> However, I am rather hesitant to try this.

Technically, yes, but as a practical matter highly unlikely, and cvt does no
better at generating a mode than X does if given the vertical refresh and
horizontal sync data it needs that EDID is failing to do. Create a file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf containing:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier	"Monitor0"
    HorizSync	30-81
    VertRefresh	56-75
    Option	"PreferredMode"	"1920x1080"
EndSection

Note that the sync and refresh numbers should come from your display's
specifications in its manual, but those above are likely adequate to task. It's
also possible that 'hwinfo --monitor' would give you those two specs.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata