Re: override logrotate.timer from another package?

On 2023-07-04 14:36:19, Charles Curley wrote:

No. All changes the local administrator makes should go under
/etc/systemd because you risk updates over-writing things in
/lib/systemd and elsewhere.

As for dh_installsystemd, the first paragraph of the man page for it
says,

        dh_installsystemd is a debhelper program that is responsible for
        installing package maintainer supplied systemd unit files.

Are you doing this as a package maintainer?

Yes. Its my own metapackage to be installed on all our hosts in the
office to establish certain configuration standards, like hourly log
file rotation, our own certificates, a standard set of packages to be
installed, etc.

Actually I've got a set of about 50 metapackages for Debian by now,
describing development hosts, laptop setups, virtualization servers,
different GUI configurations, VPNs, and so on. This could have been
done by ansible or others as well, but when I started this there was
no ansible.

Point is, if I add a config file to /etc/systemd/system/logrotate.timer.d
using my own package, then it seems to be off-limits somehow. The
daemon-reload is not run, and systemctl revert logrotate.timer will
wipe out the file provided by my package as well, without confirmation
dialog. That doesn't seem right.

Regards
Harri