Re: Why does Debian have code names for releases?

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> wrote:
> Curt wrote:
>
> >> No but I live in the UK and I know the A1, A2, A4, A5, A6
> >> and many others, plus the M1, M4, M5, M6.
>
> But M5 can be a bolt size and a lot of other things as well,
> while creative names may stay "more" unique.

Nonsense. Curt's reply (which you cut when wrongly attributing my text
to him!) provides an excellent example of a memorable name 'Penny Lane'
- which I for one know only as the name of a song and didn't even know
which town the road was in (Abbey Road I do happen to know). All names
need context and the M5 as a road is not likely to be mixed up with an
M5 bolt or screw.

I think the problem with Debian codenames is a poor choice of order for
choosing them. Three successive ones with the same initial letter
smacks of a deliberate attempt to confuse the <choose your insult here>
by the cognoscenti. Some naming plan that stepped through the alphabet
would be far more useful and easier to understand IMHO.