Re: package managers problem

On 6/27/23 14:05, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 22 Jun 2023 at 04:30:47 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
On 6/21/23 18:45, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 21 Jun 2023 at 16:14:07 (-0400), gene heskett wrote some words.
In reply:

Eh? Can I remind you that the Escape key is not a shift key;
you just have to press the Escape key and /then/ the Zero key.

Here, the esc key must be held while entering the 0, else it just
show's a 0 in the command line box and doesn't exit.
[ … ]
So it is still a two handed
operation since they are about 16 inches apart on my keyboard. In my
case the terminal is konsole.  But it is handier than grabbing a
mouse, finding the button and clicking on it.  Thank you.

That is bizarre, to say the least. Does that mean that Escape doesn't
do all the other things that it's used for in mc? For example, double
Escape exits many commands, the viewers, etc, and Escape Digit should
have the same action as the corresponding Function key (with zero
standing for F10, hence Roy's suggestion).

bizzare isn't the word that comes to mind, but thats how it works with gnome. I've now switched to kde and will check it again. Now the esc key has been neutered. But f10 works, the ideal IMO. But how the heck do I get rid of the kcalc advertisement on the screen background that shows the nice round clock? just above it?

And I found just now & had to reboot several times to fix it, that the drive carrying / was not the drive I installed bookworm to!!!!, so I installed gparted and nuked the boot flag from the wrong drive which changed the fstab, and I am now running on the correct drive with my raid10 mounted over the /home on /dev/sda. TBD if I stay on plasma though.

This may be tied to whichever terminal is used for the default
that mc opens in and the numpad 0 is the only one that works here.

I can't help thinking that there might be some connection between
this situation and the fact that the TUI version of aptitude gives
you such trouble. As I don't use the terminals/DEs etc that you do,
I can't be of much help in making your TERM selection.

Anyway, assuming F9 still works for drop-down menus, you can exit
mc with a sequence of three unshifted keystrokes: F9 f x, ie drop
down the File menu and select exit (whose x is highlighted).

Cheers,
David.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.