Re: Hddtemp in Bookworm

On Mon 26 Jun 2023, at 21:13, piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 26/06/2023 19:17, Gareth Evans wrote:
>> ...but this "recommends" presumably won't be available in a fresh Bookworm installation, since
>>
>> $ apt policy hddtemp
>> hddtemp:
>>    Installed: 0.3-beta15-54
>>    Candidate: 0.3-beta15-54
>>    Version table:
>>   *** 0.3-beta15-54 100
>>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> $
>
> Exactly. hddtemp is dormant, won't be included in current stable and
> future releases:

Is this documented anywhere in relation to the current release?

Your link

> https://sources.debian.org/src/hddtemp/0.3-beta15-54/debian/NEWS/

got me searching for some of its key terms (linux drivetemp hwmon) which led to

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/hwmon/drivetemp.html

which says:

"[...] This driver supports reporting the temperature of disk and solid state drives with temperature sensors.

If supported, it uses the ATA SCT Command Transport feature to read the current drive temperature and, if available, temperature limits as well as historic minimum and maximum temperatures. If SCT Command Transport is not supported, the driver uses SMART attributes to read the drive temperature.

[...]

Sysfs entries

Only the temp1_input attribute is always available. Other attributes are available only if reported by the drive. All temperatures are reported in milli-degrees Celsius.

---------------------------------------
temp1_input | Current drive temperature
---------------------------------------
[...]"

There are various temp1_input files under /sys/... and it wasn't immediately clear where to look.

After some failed experimentation and a web search, I found

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/558112/standard-way-to-check-the-hard-drive-temperature-without-installing-additional-p

which suggests (as adapted for my machine)

$ cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/1:0:0:0/device/hwmon/hwmon3/temp1_input
35000

which matches (at different magnitude)

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda |grep -i tem
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   065   039   000    Old_age   Always       -       35 (Min/Max 11/61)

...which seems like a lot of effort to discover something that should (shouldn't it?) be documented somewhere in relation to Bookworm?  I couldn't find anything in the release notes except some "notable" obsolete packages at s5.3, which didn't include hddtemp.

https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#noteworthy-obsolete-packages

Just out of interest, is there an authoritative list of packages removed per Debian version?  The Bookworm release announcement says 'over 6,296 packages have been removed as "obsolete"'

https://www.debian.org/News/2023/20230610

I tried searching with both google and ddg and couldn't find anything authoritative looking.

That seems to invite a lot of detective work :)

Thanks,
Gareth