Re: Why does Debian have code names for releases?

ghe2001 (12023-06-26):
> I've been using Debian for some 20 years, and I've had the impression
> that Ian started with the major characters in Toy Story and the names
> have moved toward the minor ones (no proof, just an impression).

That is the problem with major characters, there are a limited number of
them, especially in a franchise of five kids movies.

Twenty five years ago I started naming my computers after the characters
in an obscure French sci-fi duology. The names are still pretty much
unique, but I have had trouble finding names for new boxes, especially
since it has been a longtime I read these books and they do not have a
fandom wiki. So recently I switched to another source for names. No, not
Tolkien. Nor Star Wars. The boxes are named tehol, brys, kruppe,
silverfox, etc. If you know the series, you guess I will not be short of
names anytime soon :-)

But computer names are not the same issue as release names. Computer
names must evoke a role in a network, and that can plug into the
identity of a character in a story. Release names must evoke a
chronology.

Version numbers are not an ideal solution, though: after we go into the
multiple decimal digits territory it becomes hard to remember exactly
where we are, especially since it frequently changes. (How old are you?
Did you have to subtract your birth year to the current year to know, if
only the units digits?)

What works for Ubuntu is that their version numbers are really the year.
We know what year we are in, usually.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George