power glitch has killed X

It has years since I needed to know some basic system stuff.  I have been running Debian sid for over 20 years.

There was apparently a power glitch in the last 8 hours.  My desktop is fine.  My laptop which was charging only boots (grub) to the command line.

Aptitude works and I have tried reinstalling grub and the kernel.

I can get to a recovery mode for any of several kernels I have installed.

I need to take this laptop to Japan tomorrow.

TIA for any help,

Paul