Re: bookworm upgrade report: boring

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 08:50:54 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the part that always stresses me out; I often have changes in
> the default config files that I don't want to lose, but I'm also
> worried about not getting the latest versions of the config files. I
> usually try to accept the new files and manually bring in any
> important changes I've made to the old ones, but this takes time and
> patience to do right, and things can break if not done right :)

Right.

I usually do upgrades with at least two terminals open on the subject
machine. One I use for the actual upgrade process. Another has Emacs
open and ready to use, and a third has a shell for general use.

During the upgrade, I select which configuration file to use, my edited
version or the maintainer's. I then use Emacs' ediff mode to compare
the two and update the config file. I have Emacs configured to preserve
the original file as a backup (foo~ for file foo). I do this as the
upgrade proceeds, which lets me concentrate on one file at a time.

It is usually fairly straightforward. Usually.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/