Re: Debian home page -> Download link broken:

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 3:35 PM Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun 11 Jun 2023 at 15:24:16 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> > > Or maybe the wiki page should be deleted, or just say go RTFM, i.e.
> > > read the release notes for the release you want to upgrade to.
> >
> > Tixy, I checked the manual at
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/sect.apt-get.en.html
> > . I cannot find the requirement to run 'apt upgrade'.
>
> You failed to look very well :).

I think if you read the entire article, I don't think you will find an
'apt upgrade' is a MUST. At best, it is a SHOULD for folks using apt,
and it is not clear why someone should do it when using one of the
other package managers. Or that was my parsing of the article.

>From 6.2.1 (notice the word 'can', not 'must'):

    For any work with APT, the list of available packages
    needs to be updated; this can be done simply through
    apt update...

The word 'can' implies the upgrade can be done other ways, too. And
given the article discusses apt, apt-get and aptitude, then one should
expect it can be done with all three tools.

But the confusion is a perfect example of why the DebianUpgrade
article should provide something prescriptive that always works.

Jeff