Re: Running Debian without initramfs?

On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 05:52:48PM +0100, mick.crane wrote:
> On 2023-06-08 19:08, Mike Castle wrote:
>
> > I couldn't afford a large enough harddrive for the second system, nor
> > ethernet cards (and a local shop was going to charge me $50 to make a
> > crossover cable if I went that route!).
>
> swapping around the red and red-white with the green and green-white wires
> seemed to work.
> mick

Wait... Ethernet crossover cables? You must have vintage hardware.
Most twisted pair Ethernet ports these days support Auto MDI-X [1]
so they do the crossover thingy themselves.

To find out, you do:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ sudo ethtool eth0
  [sudo] password for tomas:
  Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 2
        Transceiver: internal
        MDI-X: Unknown (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: no

...and look at the line "MDI-X: ...". In my case "Unknown" means that
there's nobody at the other end, "(auto)" means that my interface is
willing to bargain. NB: this is on pretty old hardware, a Thinkpad
X230, roughly from early 2010s.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_MDI-X