Re: X11 should not run as root or?

On Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 11:03:27PM +0000, therealcyclist wrote:
> Am Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 08:26:55PM +0200 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> > i3-wm is a window manager, not a display manager. So it depends on
> > what display manager you're using (if any).
>
> so we assume that the majority use a display manager who cares about this via polkit or similar.
> x11 as root by default is a security risk to which all those running i3-wm under xinit are unnecessarily exposed.
> unless they know what they are doing.

Dear gods.  Stop babbling about political nonsense!

If you are running "startx" on tty1 in Debian 11 and Xorg is running
as root instead of your regular user account, then START THERE.

That is the PROBLEM.  Now let's DIAGNOSE it.  We need DETAILS!

What video card do you have?

Which driver is Xorg using?  (Find the actually correct Xorg.0.log file --
there may be more than one -- and find the driver details in there.)

Is the xserver-xorg-legacy package installed?

Do you have all the firmware installed that your video card wants?
(Look for "firmware" in dmesg.)

Here are some things that DO NOT MATTER:

 * the name of the window manager you are using, if any

 * the name of any display manager that is not installed, because you're
   not using any, because you're running startx, and we already KNOW THIS

 * polkit

 * anything you do AFTER startx