Firefox resource utilization (was Re: A case for supporting antiquated hardware, was Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?)

On 2023-06-03 at 01:41, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 2, 2023, 6:10 PM Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

>> This computer, with 128GB RAM, I regard as far superior to an i9
>> computer with 8GB RAM.

>> Refurbished computer profile (with 128GB RAM (that runs about 200
>> windows of Firefox (I have one saved session, with 229 windows,
>> and about 3200 tabs), while viewing movies (I also have about 10
>> movies open at present, in Celluloid and SMPlayer), although, at
>> present, I have only about 127 Firefox windows open, with 1689
>> tabs):
>
> Holy cow! :-) No wonder you have 128GB RAM. You will need that much
> for that much Firefox. It's a peeve of mine how resource intensive it
> is for a browser compared to the competition.

Hey, now. I once had a Firefox session (with "restore tabs from previous
session" enabled, and about six-to-eight windows) with 5,190 open tabs,
and that computer only had 24GB of RAM.

...And it used BarTab, or rather a variant that I maintained myself
after the original maintainer decided getting a small subset of that
addon's functionality integrated into the upstream browser was sufficient.

I'm doing much better now; I've got only 1,491 open tabs, split across
eight browser windows, on a machine with 64GB of RAM. (I think I had it
down under 1,000 total tabs at one point. I still hope to get it down to
a range of 200-500 total tabs; I don't think I'll realistically be
comfortable running with fewer than that, given what I use them for.)

And all of this is with older Firefox versions, which are considerably
more resource-intensive in my experience than newer Firefox is.

I may dislike a lot of things about where Mozilla has taken Firefox, but
I do prefer to see it criticized for the faults it actually has.
Resource-intensive it may be, but unless extra windows increase resource
usage far more than extra tabs do, you don't need anything *close* to
128GB for ~1700 Firefox tabs in ~128 Firefox windows.

--
   The Wanderer