Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

On Fri, 2 Jun 2023, Victor Sudakov wrote:

Now I see that a supported minimal headless configuration probably
does not exist at all.

Define supported.

You can boot a xen dom 0 with almost nothing installed other than xen
and the essential set and some sysvinit stuff.

I'd bet systemd would pull in more. And you'll have problems creating
networks to your guests without some iptools stuff.

If you really want a minimal system like this, start with a bootable xen
dom 0, backup, then remove stuff, reboot, backup until it won't boot.

Just looked, my dom0 is using around 1GB of disk and that's without
trying to keep it small. 300M of that is kernel modules.

My dom0 does very little other than host the guests. It's accessible
over ssh or ipmi (no keyboard or screen)