Re: os-prober Just a Rant

Am 25.05.2023 um 19:28 schrieb Andrea Borgia:

>     updates cause my edits to be overwritten... that sucks
>

> Ah, ok, I wasn't seeing ghosts, then!

I am using os-prober sometimes, but i am aware, that it fails almost on
a regular basis on machines making use of ZFS. That has to be expected,
because ZFS is not very much interested in "partitions", not even in
"disks" but its main unit (a pool) is built out of one or more vdevs
(virtual devices) which can be anything from a regular file to a bunch
of disks. Certainly neither grub nor os-prober know, how to deal with
that properly, which is why i have been fixing grub.cfg after each
grub-update, and i set up my system to do so automatically using some
script, that does split the output from grub-mkconfig into pieces, sed
some parts of them and reassembles the resulting files into a working
grub.cfg.

Maybe i should not call os-prober broken (or grub, for that matter) but
people working on it certainly do not consider the wide range of
workflows making use of grub's features, but i consider it insufficient
for my needs big time.

FWIW - you are not alone.

DdB