Re: virtualisation

On 5/22/23 11:43, mick.crane wrote:
This is a request for best practice, perceived knowledge.
For one reason and another this PC/Workstation (what is the difference?)
boots in legacy mode. It was something to do with the SS usb port not booting the installer in EFI mode.
I forget exactly.
Anyway, it's a niggle that it is legacy mode and changing a working system seems a palaver. As I have the /home stuff all being/copied onto another disk I thought I'd reinstall and try to get it tidy.

Why do you think legacy mode is untidy?

I do not use multi-boot; I install mobile racks in my computers and put each OS instance on its own drive. This allows me to use BIOS/ MBR/ legacy mode, which is simpler to install and simpler to image/ clone:

1. No UEFI boot variables/entries to create; BIOS/MBR detects devices connected to interfaces and I use Setup to set the boot order. (I also set "Boot USB Devices First", so I can boot a live USB stick without having to touch Setup.) In UEFI mode, I must use Setup to create a boot table entry that includes the correct bootloader file in the correct ESP. Once I have a correct UEFI boot entry, then I can set the boot order. These UEFI steps are inobvious if you have never heard of them, and there is more than one way to screw it up (pick the wrong ESP or wrong bootloader file).

2. No ESP confusion. I attempted to create a Debian bootable USB stick using d-i in "Install" mode on a computer with an NVMe drive and Windows 10. d-i did not ask me where to put GRUB; d-i automatically added entries into the ESP on the NVMe drive (!). This made the USB flash drive unbootable in any other computer and made the boot table entry useless whenever the USB stick was not connected.

3. No GPT secondary partition table. I install BIOS/ MBR with a 1 GB boot partition, 1 GB encrypted swap partition, and 13 GB encrypted root partition. Once I have Debian installed on a 16+ GB HDD, SSD, or USB flash drive, I can boot alternate media and copy the system drive from LBA 0 through the end of the root partition to a file on a USB HDD. I can later reverse the process onto the same system device or onto any other 16+ GB device, and the restored Debian instance "just works". With GPT, there is a secondary/ backup partition table located at the end of the device. This forces you into to less flexible imaging choices: copy the entire device and restore onto a device of exactly the same size, copy the entire device and fix the GPT secondary table after restoring onto a device of different size, copy from LBA 0 to the end of the root partition then add a GPT table after restore, copy LBA 0 through the end of root in one piece, copy the GPT secondary table in another piece, restore the first piece, do the math, and restore the second piece, etc..

I thought to try this virtualisation.

Why?

Q1. Would openbox be the one to go for?
Things I use work happily on Bookworm but seems openbox is only available in Sid for now. Should I try to build openbox or try to get it from Sid if OpenBox is what I want?
I have purchased 64Gb of this DIMM memory for the experimentation.

mick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

David