Re: disk usage for /usr/lib on bullseye

On Tue 02 May 2023 at 08:09:57 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 10:18:10AM +0100, Tixy wrote:
> > On Tue, 2023-05-02 at 17:03 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > man apt
> >
> > Which doesn't say what 'apt purge' does without a package name. It says
> > 'Performs the requested action on one or more packages specified via
> > regex(7), glob(7) or exact match'. It doesn't go on to say what happens
> > if you leave that blank.

> unicorn:~$ sudo apt --dry-run purge
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
>
> So... uh... what happened here?  It certainly didn't complain about a
> lack of package names.  No error messages.  It didn't appear to *do*
> anything, though, other than spend a bunch of time and energy reading
> package lists and building dependency trees for no apparent reason.

> So it looks like "apt purge" might not do anything at all.  At least,
> in combination with --dry-run it doesn't *say* that it's going to do
> anything.
>
> If you're braver than I am, you might try it without the --dry-run and
> see what happens.  I'm guessing it'll do nothing, but I cannot guarantee
> that, and I take no responsibility for any losses or damage.

It seems a bluff was called. Anyway, I got
  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
as it seems bookworm's libfreetype6 was upgraded overnight.

And I'm not brave; the system was installed last night for the
umpteenth time, this partition having been used to test the d-i
for bookwork-RC1 several times for different purposes.

Cheers,
David.