Re: OT: Using my (new) cable based ISP with their modem in bridge mode and my existing router

On Fri 28 Apr 2023 at 14:25:20 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Some key phrases / sub topics:
>    * Astound (cable based) ISP in eastern Pa. area
>    * Arris DG2470A modem / router in bridge mode with Ubiquiti Edge Router X
>    * Ubiquiti Edge Router X in DMZ

[ … ]

> I did think about using both the Ubiquiti (and DHCP, if that's what Astound
> uses in this area) and the Arris sort of in series (the Ubiquiti ("downstream"
> of the Arris) then doing the DHCP (and other features, e.g. QOS) for the LAN,
> but I'm leery of doing that because I've seen (somewhat vague) warnings on the
> Internet about doing double NAT.  (Maybe that is only an issue of speed, which
> I don't think would bother me -- the Astound connection could be 30 (or  more
> (or less)) times as fast as the DSL connection.)
>
> I suppose I could do the two in series (as mentioned above), leave DHCP turned
> on in both, but the firewall turned off in the upstream modem / router.
>
> I'm getting too old -- trial and error (as I've done a few times) is nerve
> wracking for me.  Even getting the Ubiquiti back to the configuration to use on
> my DSL ISP drove me crazy, I had to try a few times to do that (I haven't
> cancelled my DSL ISP yet), and I'm not sure that I know the exact steps to get
> that setup working again if I have to (i.e., if I try the Astound connection
> and don't get it working), but I feel, since I accomplished it once, I can do
> it again (i.e., I'm seeking comments on the problems of connecting to
> Astound rather than those of reconnecting to my DSL ISP).

Your post is rather technical for me, so I'll just describe what I do.
We used to have a cable modem (Cisco DPC3010), apparently in bridge
mode (unclear whether there was another mode), connected with Cat5
to my router, a Netgear WNDR3400v3. Near the beginning of the
pandemic, the modem burnt out, so I replaced it with some sort of
Panoramic modem/router, about which I know little except that it has
two LAN ports. I connected one of these to the WAN of our router, by
now a Netgear R6020, and that was it. We just pretend the Panoramic
is the old Cisco.

The R6020 connects to the WAN with DHCP, as it always did before with
the Cisco, and it runs a DHCP server on the LAN side for all our
devices, wired and wireless, with a small range (192.168.1.200 up)
for strangers.

The old Netgear WNDR3400v3 had been retired with a dead WAN port,
but because our house is rather long, I now use it as an extender.
I turned off the WAN stuff, and also its DHCP, and connected one
LAN port to a R6020 LAN port (both have four). Its wireless, which
usually works, has the same SSID and PSK as the R6020. (To know
which router you're connected to, the easiest way is to ping
either router and then type   ip n   for the MAC.)

When we no longer need to network and zoom with the university,
we'll probably ditch the Panoramic and buy a plain modem again.

Cheers,
David.