Re: OT: Using my (new) cable based ISP with their modem in bridge mode and my existing router

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Some key phrases / sub topics:
>    * Astound (cable based) ISP in eastern Pa. area
>    * Arris DG2470A modem / router in bridge mode with Ubiquiti Edge Router X
>    * Ubiquiti Edge Router X in DMZ

> I've now signed up to a new ISP (Astound / RCN) that provides access via cable
> (and, of course, a cable modem, an Arris DG2470A -- it does include a router
> but without all the features I'd like to have).  So far, I have not been able
> to connect to Astound with the modem in bridge mode (and using DHCP in the
> router).
>
> I'm not 100% sure whether Astound (in my area, around Allentown, Pa.) uses
> PPPoE or DHCP to make the connection.  So far, I've tried only DHCP.

All the other RCN connections I've heard of used DHCP to assign
an IPv4 address. (I used them for seven years.)

> I am thinking of doing something like cloning the modem's MAC address in the
> router (and also maybe putting a different MAC address in the Arris) so that
> maybe Astound will accept a logon from the Ubiquiti router (of course, I don't
> know if the problem is that Astound doesn't like that the Ubiquiti is trying
> to make the connection).

Let me offer a different solution: buy your own cable modem.

The 2470A is a 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 modem, along with the aggravating
router portion.

You can get a Motorola MG7621 for under $100. It's also a 24x8
DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Others include Linksys CM3024, Netgear CM600, and TP-Link
TC7650.

All of these are on RCN's own approved list.

Once you have one of them, call up the service center to get it
authorized on your account, and then connect up your router to
the ethernet port.

-dsr-