Re: Starting stunnel with systemd.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 09:29:46AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 08:45:16AM +0200, john doe wrote:
> > On 4/23/23 18:41, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> > > $ cat /etc/systemd/system/stunnel.service
> > > [Unit]
> > > Description=StunnelStarter
> > > Documentation=man:stunnel(8)
> > > After=network.target auditd.service
> > >
> > > [Service]
> > > ExecStart=/usr/bin/stunnel /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf foreground=yes
> >
> > I'm not sure about the forground option if you want a daemon in the
> > background! :)
>
> Under systemd, foreground is the new background!
>
> (No, seriously: AFAIU that's how it's supposed to be done with
> systemd, because that's how it does its process monitoring and
> log munging. Do take this with some fists of salt, as my systemd
> knowledge is purely theoretical. Ask an expert)

You're correct.  Whenever possible, the goal is to ExecStart a single
foreground process which is your service.  If you can do that, then
you have a "simple" service type.  If you cannot, then you probably have
a "forking" service type, and systemd has to track a whole bunch of
processes instead of just one.