Re: graphic cards was efi problem

On 2023-04-23 20:21, David Christensen wrote:
On 4/23/23 12:56, mick.crane wrote:
Please be considerate of us oldies who struggle with the technology.
I successfully booted from the CD and reinstalled Debian.
The purpose for doing this was that I was having pixel glitches on the monitor and some freezes. Thinking anything I've done that might be causing that will be eradicated with a fresh install. Well the pixel glitches are still there so I'm assuming the graphics card is defective and I should get another one. Interestingly the Krita documentation says that they aren't putting any time into using the graphics card memory as they think graphics cards will the defunct in the future. I wondered if there is some way to examine graphics card memory and mark as bad or something.

mick

Please describe in detail what you mean by "pixel glitches".  How
many? Size?  Shape?  Color?  Static or dynamic?

Have you tried A/B testing the graphics card (e.g. video signal
transmitter) by using a second monitor?  What were the results?

Have you tried A/B testing the monitor (e.g. video signal receiver) by
using a second computer?  What were the results?

on the desktop there were red blocks of pixels, small like a typeface size, maybe 3 or 4 of them always in top left corner of screen.
In a browser pale blue ones 4 or 5 around an input text window,
I have reinstalled bookworm now. Hats off to whoever does the installer because it's great. Funnily without touching anything there are no pixel glitches now after this install but if I open a browser and do anything everything crashes. Out of interest I installed Devuan on another PC and using same monitor there were no issues. It could be anything but not having the errant pixels for now is encouraging.