Re: efi problem

On 4/22/23 15:06, mick.crane wrote:
On 2023-04-22 19:05, DdB wrote:
Am 22.04.2023 um 19:30 schrieb mick.crane:
I suspect the GPU is suspect because there are small blocks of pixels
appearing where they aren't wanted.
I'd like to re-install the OS as I've got copies of everything I think.
Just to see if it's maybe a driver issue.
Thing is I can't get the f12 options screen of the PC to let me boot
from a CD in this EFI mode what's grub done.
How can I boot from CD in this EFI mode?

mick

My neighbor has an old laptop without a CD drive. But there is a linux
running (ubuntu). So what i did is this:
i did download (and check) an ISO-file to boot from (debian- or ubuntu-
live versions) and googled for the appropriate stanza for grub to handle
booting from that ISO file. Then i did modify the /etc/grub.d/41_custom
file, to make sure, grub will include that stanza on update-grub
automatically.
But if you only want to boot it only once, you could - on boot, while
seeing the grub menu, enter "c" to open a command line and enter the
necessary commands by hand. (I liked to learn, what grub has to offer
for cases of emergency. Can come in handily, if you - or a friend - gets
stuck on boot.)

BTW: IIRC, grub is able to start an efi-shell, if needed, to force boot
options that way. But my neighbor did not have uefi. Whereas I do, and -
although i am lazy and prefer automation, i had to boot up manually via
UEFI several times.

What i am saying is: it is possible, but not exactly trivial. Learning
is involved and desirable.

Have fun
DdB

It used to be grub thought things were HD0, HD1
and you could decide what to boot from
I have a CD with the debian installer on it that I burnt with the xorriso which I'm presuming is a bootable CD but there's no way of telling because the EFI thing won't let me select it to boot from

Good grief!  Use etcher or dd to copy it to a USB flash drive. Or put the machine in compatibility mode, and bypass the UEFI.

Mark A.