Re: Am I infected with a rootkit?

On 2023-04-16 14:59, Michel Verdier wrote:
Le 16 avril 2023 Jesper Dybdal a écrit :

I have scanned the Windows machine with two antivirus tools (Windows defender
and Malwarebytes).
Can you use clamav on windows ?
I hadn't thought of that. I'll check.

modules.dep
modules.devname
modules.symbols.bin
modules.symbols
modules.builtin.bin
modules.alias.bin
modules.builtin.alias.bin
modules.softdep
modules.alias
modules.dep.bin
These are generated during kernel install. And you can safely remove
/lib/modules/5.10.0-21-amd64 if these are the only files left.
They are the only files on my harddisk that are not part of the .deb file for the kernel.  There are lots of other files, but they match.
* Is it probable that somebody can remote control one or both machines?  Do
  those 4 lines ring a bell?  What are they all about?
Perhaps a bot trying to execute some commands. As they do not apply to
debian you debian machine should not be compromised.
Unless the malware on the windows machine is smart enough to use my secret key and decrypt it with a password retrieved from a key logger ...
Malware can be installed via web sites
I tend to stay away from doubtful websites - but you are of course right.
* Is there a significant risk that the problem came with the Bullseye upgrade?
no

* I really don't want to reinstall from scratch.  Not only because I don't
  know whether there is a problem on one or both machines, but also because I
have no idea where any infection came from - it could easily be from something
that I would also reinstall.
I think you don't have to. For debian. For windows a full deinstall
without reinstall is the best :)
In the long term, now that I'm retired, I hope to drop Windows completely - but not quite today :-).

Thanks,
Jesper

--
Jesper Dybdal