Re: Apt sources.list

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 11:00:52AM -0400, paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:

> Okay. Let's open this can of worms. The ONLY reason https is used on
> most sites is because Google *mandated* it years ago. ("Mandate" means
> we'll downgrade your search ranking if you don't use https.) There is
> otherwise no earthly reason to have an encrypted connection to a web
> server unless there is some exchange of private information between you
> and the server.

Where I live (England) I do not care if "the authorities" see what I have
installed on my machine. If I lived in a totalitarian state†† there are some
packages that might raise my profile on some "radar".

†† There are several - I will not mention names as I wish to keep politics out
of this list.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/