Re: Bookworm: dash shell globs don't recognise [^...] to negate a character class

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 12:01:39PM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, April 13, 2023 10:36:08 PM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >  [  If an open bracket introduces a bracket expression as in XBD RE
> >     Bracket Expression, except that the <exclamation-mark> character
> >     ( '!' ) shall replace the <circumflex> character ( '^' ) in its
> >     role in a non-matching list in the regular expression notation, it
> >     shall introduce a pattern bracket expression. A bracket expression
> >     starting with an unquoted <circumflex> character produces unspecified
> >     results. Otherwise, '[' shall match the character itself.
>
> Wow -- I thought this was an English language list :-(
>
> But seriously, that seems very hard to interpret / understand.

If it helps, you can ignore most of it.  The pieces that we care about
are:

1) the <exclamation-mark> character ( '!' ) shall replace the <circumflex>
   character ( '^' )

2) A bracket expression starting with an unquoted <circumflex> character
   produces unspecified results.