Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

On 08/04/2023 23:20, Greg Wooledge wrote:
One of the basic goals of structured programming languages was to
eliminate reliance on line numbers -- which were the hallmark of many
other languages in use at the time.

or reliance on labels (represented by numbers) for goto destination as in early fortran

      IF(I.GT.J)GO TO 40
 c    ...
  40  J=J+1

Nowadays, we rarely think about this, because structured programming
won its battle.

William Slater, Howard Modell.
Structured Programming Considered Harmful
ACM SIGPlan Notices, VOL#13, ISS#4, April 1978, pgs.76-79
https://www.modell.com/Magery/SPharmful.html
https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/953411.953418

I know, considered harmful was considered harmful as well.