Re: questions about cron.daily

On 4/6/23 09:44, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

crontab -l

Pierre Frenkiel

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023, Fred wrote:

On 4/6/23 08:33, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 07:33:26PM +0800, coreyh@free.fr wrote:
For scripts put under /etc/cron.daily, which special time will they be
implemented?

Greg already showed you how to check this on your own systems.

If you need something to run daily but at a specific time, consider
instead either creating a custom cron job in /etc/cron.d/ (or a
user's crontab) or else using a systemd timer.

I found some services like apache2, chkrootkit will put the scripts in
this dir automatically. are they for system cleaning purpose?

The purpose of cron.daily is literally to run scripts daily for
*whatever purpose each script has*. If you have questions about what
a specific script does, try looking at it, as it's just an
executable script (usually sh or bash). If you're still confused
then ask a specific question about a specific script.

Cheers,
Andy

I also would like to know when cron.daily scripts run.  Greg's command does not appear to reveal the time for that script.  I ran Greg's command and got the same result.

Best regards,
Fred

fred@ragnok:~$ crontab -l
no crontab for fred