Re: Which Diff tool could I use for visually comparing two text files where Word Wrap is possible?

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Subject: Re: Which Diff tool could I use for visually comparing
two text files where Word Wrap is possible?
    From: davidson <da***on@fre***lt.or***>
    Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 01:27:46 +0000 (UTC)
<[🔎] [🔎] CAEG4cZUS4DYT02PVm5bYvrpxTxVDEYBTHFGWHRHi80uPoY962A@mail.gmail.com>
<[🔎] [🔎] CAEG4cZVrPz=aZN6C0V0J3EPYMrH=UGkWcbVCc8xY=31FF_PqQA@mail.gmail.com>
<[🔎] [🔎] CAEG4cZUXaUAxG=0zLWpXuY44X9RTf7TNEwvGfuDDMZQ7iLEfzA@mail.gmail.com>
<[🔎] [🔎] CAEG4cZVcE+49-MKWGW7Le3L1T6ztSak7JD3KchkEVFGH30366w@mail.gmail.com>
<[🔎] [🔎] CAEG4cZWKu1LVJY_Js+VtXA00tVEDPR_JuPaCJ=jrqeRAe4413w@mail.gmail.com>
<[🔎] [🔎] CAEG4cZU4ZCCbKC9FFF66nwWr2ubD_1p_z1BDNHRh_sjP3ikEYg@mail.gmail.com>

[   ...   ]
You have reported that redirecting icdiff output to a file, in your
words, "drops all colors".

And so I have three questions:

1. Show us the full command line you enter, to redirect the output of
icdiff to a file.

2. Show us the full command line you enter, to view the contents of
that file.

3. For a suitable pair of files, report whether colors are displayed
as expected when you do

 $ icdiff file1 file2 > pretty_diff
 $ less -R pretty_diff
[   ...   ]

Yes, thank you. From your indications it became apparent to me the
idiocy that I was engaged in. I failed to look into what was really
meant by your two lines of codes. I was redirecting the output to a
file with a .txt extension. So when the default application for my
Debian installation, mousepad, opened the file it dropped all colours.
with a lot of extended chars.

This time, I just redirected the output to a file without extension.
Yes, your 2nd line, less -R reproduces all colours. I imagined myself
in your position and looked into what was supposedly intended with
those two lines of codes.

So, thank you for bringing to me to notice my idiocy.

This leads me to the next automatic questions:

Would it be possible to increase the column length for the either of
the two files being compared, so that I could let the terminal window
frame occupy the entire screen space?

If that is not possible then which application should I use in GUI to
have all colours faithfully represented? This might help me overcome
the column restrictions.

Thank you, truly.

Best wishes,
Rajib