Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 12:23:19PM +0800, coreyh@free.fr wrote:
> I am just not sure, why perl6 is named to raku?

Because Perl 5 still exists and is still seeing new releases, and
what is now Raku is a completely different language, so there is no
prospect of Perl 5 ceasing to be developed with all its users moving
to what was then called Perl 6. Perl 6 needed a new name so as to
stop being a source of confusion between itself and Perl 5.

> I think python3 is much different to python2, but it's still naming as
> python.

The Python Software Foundation has marked CPython 2 (the default
Python interpreter) as End Of Life since 2020. It also owns the
trademark to "Python" and will not allow anyone else to make an
interpreter that is called Python that extends the life of Python 2
with new features. The only existing distributable versions of
CPython 2 are either old releases or strictly security fixes. The
PSF wants Python 2 to die; they only concern themselves with Python
3.

There are actively developed language interpreters that are
compatible with Python 2 that aren't called Python, e.g. PyPy and
Jython. So in fact even Python 2 is not yet dead as a language.

> If perl6 was just named as perl6, isn't it more clear?

Perl 5 still has plenty of active developers of both itself and
applications written in it who don't want to move to Raku. Raku is a
lot more different to Perl 5 than Python 3 is different to Python 2.
The Perl Foundation (which owns the Perl and Raku trademarks)
doesn't want Perl 5 to die.

So hopefully you can see now that things are different because
things are different.

Cheers,
Andy