OT: Detecting ISP throttling (was: Re: Potentially OT. Videos lagging & buffering in any browser but Google Chrome.)

On Sunday, March 26, 2023 04:21:00 PM Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> One last thought is I read somewhere that ISPs, especially smaller
> ones, have been caught throttling users based on type of usage even
> though the same ISPs label their services as unlimited. Conspiracy
> theories tossed aside, that's still a rational possibility that needs
> pursued on my end here.
>
> BUT THEN... Google Chrome does work properly. That's why I haven't
> wasted any time nor brain storage on actively investigating local ISP
> throttling as a most likely answer. :)

I suspect my ISP (Earthlink) may be throttling me.  Not too long ago, I could
watch (stream) TV programs on PlutoTV (on my DSL line (I know)) but could not
stream movies (and I assumed the movies might have had a higher resolution and
thus required more bandwidth).

But, a few months ago, I was no longer able to stream TV shows.

I guess I could run a speed check on my line and compare to some older
results, but I can imagine the speed test could be fooled (maybe they've
throttled my connection either for specific IPs / websites, or maybe for
specific "classes" of data.

Any other suggestions?

--
rhk

(sig revised 20230312 -- modified first paragraph, some other irrelevant
wordsmithing)

| No entity has permission to use this email to train an AI.

If you reply: snip, snip, and snip again; leave attributions; avoid HTML;
avoid top posting; and keep it "on list".  (Oxford comma (and semi-colon)
included at no charge.)  If you revise the topic, change the Subject: line.
If you change the topic, start a new thread.

Writing is often meant for others to read and understand (legal documents
excepted?) -- make it easier for your reader by various means, including
liberal use of whitespace (short paragraphs, separated by whitespace / blank
lines) and minimal use of (obscure?) jargon, abbreviations, acronyms, and