Re: Buster => Bullseye: packages kept back

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 01:20:32PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2023-03-27 00:21:18 +0200, Jesper Dybdal wrote:
> > > For completeness, here is the Debian procedure for a release upgrade:
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUpgrade .
> > Thanks.  Interesting that the Wiki recommends using apt-get, while the
> > Bullseye release notes recommend apt.
>
> Probably because "apt" is newer and the wiki hasn't been updated yet.
> It seems that they are very similar. The only difference I could see
> is that apt adds coloring.

>From an end user's point of view, the three main differences between
"apt-get" and "apt" are:

1) Upgrades done with apt-get retain the .deb files in
   /var/cache/apt/archives by default, whereas apt removes these .deb
   files by default.  (This is configurable.)

2) "apt-get upgrade" does not install new packages unless you supply the
   --with-new-pkgs option.  "apt upgrade" acts as if you had supplied it.
   (This is configurable.)

3) apt uses a horrible yellow color that is nigh-unreadable on a white
   background.  (This is not configurable.)

In terms of package conflict resolution and so on, they both call the
same library routines, so they both "work" the same way.  It's just
these front-end issues that change.

For actually configuring apt/apt-get, the options are somewhat hard to
find.  The configuration element for removing the .deb files appears to
be named "Clean" in apt.conf(5) (do not confuse it with Clean-Installed).

The configuration element for --with-new-pkgs is identified in apt-get(8)
at the end of the description of --with-new-pkgs.  This element does not
appear AT ALL in apt.conf(5).

Finally, there's one obscure but important difference that only arises in
specific situations.  Quoting from <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster>:

    If you previously ran buster during its time as "testing", you may
    see this error when you run apt-get update:

    E: Repository 'http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' changed
    its 'Suite' value from 'testing' to 'stable'
    N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository
    can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.

    In order to accept this change, you should run apt update instead,
    at least one time. apt will prompt you for confirmation, and then
    everything proceeds normally.

I.e. there are some situations where apt will prompt you for something
whereas apt-get will just fail without prompting you (and gives you a
bogus reference to lead you on a wild goose chase).  I don't know what
all those possible situations are, but the above is one of them.