Re: what's the right way to resolve localhost's IPs

On 3/23/23, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
> Jeremy Ardley (12023-03-23):
>> On your second topic I don't usually run firewalls on my cloud severs.
>
> But surely on a server the network configuration is static, including
> the firewall rules, isn't it?

Consider the IP addressing info coming from DHCP.  The network
configuration stays the same but the IP(v6)? address might change.

For example, Verizon is my ISP; they delegate a /56 to my router and
the router delegates /64's to the LANs.  I've got DHCP configured to
give out static host addresses to the various machines but the network
portion of the ipv6 address does change at Verizon's whim .. which
requires firewall rule changes because I haven't figured out how to
automatically plug in the newly delegated /64 into the firewall rules
for that lan :(

Regards,
Lee