Re: bookworm sha256sum may be defective

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 davidson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 Jude DaShiell wrote:
I have had multiple verification failures checking an iso with a sha256sum
verification file and am wondering if that program and the rest of the
shaxxxsum programs have one or more bugs that could account for these
failures.

Let the sha256sum program be a box of test strips that indicate
presence of poison.

Let the files you provide the sha256sum program be a beverage.

If a single test indicated poison, my first thought would not be,
"Maybe the test strips are defective".

Typo below:

And if *repeated* tests indicated poison, and did so consistently, my
first thought would not *definitely* not be, "Maybe the test strips
are defective".

s/not *definitely* not/*definitely* not/

In other words, repeated consistent indications of poison would
confirm my first reaction: the drink is most likely poisonous.

One can imagine situations that would cause me to doubt the test
strips, but the situation described by the OP is definitely not one of
them.

--
Ce qui est important est rarement urgent
et ce qui est urgent est rarement important