Re: Grub bug on Debian 11

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 Mario Marietto wrote in reply to Andrew Cater:
--> *Which* Debian .iso did you install with ?

debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso.

Is there a way to upgrade this to the version that you have
suggested ? I prefer to learn how to upgrade it than to make a
fresh installation. I would like to learn how to add "separately"
what's missing on the 11.5 and that,instead,it is on the version
that you suggested,the firmware,if I have understood it correctly.

Below I describe what I personally would do, if I had the goals I
understand you to have. I claim no expertise.

I believe there are two possible problems you are experiencing.

One possible problem, as Andrew mentions elsewhere in this thread, is
that the installer on the live iso (which you have used) is not the
same as the better-tested installer used on the standard, non-live
debian install media.

And so if your primary goal here is this:

  learning how to install debian from standard install media on your
  machine,

rather than the special case of this:

  debugging the installer used by the live iso in particular

then I suggest using a non-live installer image.

In the general case, the current images of that sort for various
architectures can be found here

  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current/

In your particular case, for your educational project --to install
11.5 and manually supply non-free firmware from separate source on
your amd64 machine-- I would instead get the the 11.5 dvd image you
can find here

  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/11.5.0/amd64/iso-dvd/

and the non-free firmware files from here

  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/bullseye/11.5.0/

Good luck with your project.

--
Ce qui est important est rarement urgent
et ce qui est urgent est rarement important