Re: change synaptic repositories

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 09:20:12PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 04:50:56PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > > Where can I find a list of URLs for Synaptic repositories such as that
> > > displayed by the installer?
> > >
> > > I need to switch from a local Approx repository to one of the
> > > publically-accessible repositories such as maintained by debian.org.
> >
> > Regardless of what interface you are using (apt, apt-get,
> > aptitude, synaptic...) the repos are defined in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list
> > and
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
> >
> > -dsr-
>
> But those contain only the repositories selected for the installation.

They also point either to a content distribution network - deb.debian.org
or to a country mirror - say ftp.uk.debian.org

Mirrors contain all the packages so they're just an apt / synaptic
update away.

That doesn't necessarily apply for third party packages
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Hope this helps,

Andy Cater