Re: question about rc.local

On 2023-03-10 18:00:41 +0100, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
> Am Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 04:29:34PM +0100 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
>
> Bonjour Vincent,

> [snip - almost everything]
>
> > > The man pages are most likely from upstream, and don't include the
> > > changes provided by Debian (in debian.conf).
> >
> > It would be useful to have the man page patched (as sometimes done),
> > otherwise the user could be surprised.
>
> I assume you read the man pages in French language?

No, in English, as usual (my whole system is in English, mainly to
avoid translations, and this is also better for bug reports).

The rc-local.service(8) man page says:

  Also note that rc-local.service is ordered after network.target, which
  does not mean that the network is functional, see systemd.special(7).
  If the script requires a configured network connection, it may be
  desirable to pull in and order it after network-online.target with a
  drop-in:

     # /etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d/network.conf
     [Unit]
     Wants=network-online.target
     After=network-online.target

"After=network-online.target" is actually what
/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d/debian.conf does.
So the user may be surprised that /etc/rc.local is not run
earlier enough (or not run at all if the network is down
when the machine is booted?).