Re: where are the actual ".deb" packages? all I see are "pkgcache.bin" and "srcpkgcache.bin" . . .

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:00:27AM -0600, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  by the way regarding that idea, which Linux friendly chipset producer
> makes wifi dongles which you can run from a DL start without having to
> install anything. it should be detected right away a be good to go.
>  Would you suggest a particular one?
>  this very thread started because I recently bought a wifi dongle
> which didn't work off of the DL DVD even though the seller advertise
> the thing as being "Linux friendly", working on Linux (even though
> installing it is a pain where you don't need to have it)

Hi Albretch,

It depends very much on whether the debian-live image includes firmware or
not.

With the next release,(Bookworm/Debian 12), the default installers will
include non-freee firmware at request.

At this point, it is unknown whether anyone will step up to undertake
maintenance for the debian-live media and scripts for the lifecycle
of bookworm. There have been several requests but no confirmed
maintainers.

If there are any left - you might try https://ryf.fsf.org/categories/wireless-adapters - you will be paying a significant premium for this on what amounts to
old, slow chipsets.

All the very best, as ever,