Re: locating blocked port

Hi,

Haines Brown wrote:
> I have an  application that refuses to start because  its port is
> blocked. But I have difficulty knowing what port it is

[...]
>   $ strings $(which jabref) | wc -l
>     56

This "56" does NOT mean, jabref is listening on Port 56.
It only means, that the jabref command contains 56 lines of human readable characters.

You might want to look out for a config file for jabref to get the port number, or read the source code, especially for lines like: listen() or bind().

Sorry, but your way wasn't that helpful to get some clues about the required port.

Btw. ports below 1024 are only allowed for system services. Which means they require adminstration rights (= you must be root), to get such a port.
I doubt that this is the case here.

Best regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27