Re: Unexpected permission denied

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 07:34:54AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> jeremy ardley wrote:
> > I have vague memories there are more file flags in newer Linux file systems?
>
> There are extended attributes, of which the only one you are
> likely to encounter is i, immutable. It is occasionally useful
> to nail down the state of a file even when something properly
> has write permissions for it.
>
> lsattr and chattr are the relevant commands.

You've got the standard Unix permissions, rwx.

You've got Linux's "attributes", lsattr(1) and friends.

You've got ACLs, getfacl(1) and friends.

You've got AppArmor, which can cause Permission denied errors on files
outside of a program's designated working areas.  This usually crops up
when someone tries to move stuff to a different location in the file
system(s) with a symlink to the new location.

You've got systemd's restrictions which may be placed upon a service --
see for example ProtectHome= in systemd.exec(5).

Plus whatever else is out there that I'm not even aware of.  SELinux?