Re: kernel errors

On 24/01/2023 18:58, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

the log messages about "unaligned transfer" would be explained if indeed
the block size of the drive would be mistaken as 512 bytes rather than
2048 bytes.

So it might be interesting to let lsblk report "sector" sizes as perceived
by the kernel:

   lsblk -b -o VENDOR,MODEL,SIZE,PHY-SEC,LOG-SEC /dev/sr0

I get from the empty drive (last medium in was a CD-RW):

   VENDOR   MODEL                 SIZE PHY-SEC LOG-SEC
   HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L 287483904    2048    2048

and with a BD-RE loaded:

   VENDOR   MODEL                   SIZE PHY-SEC LOG-SEC
   HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L 24756879360    2048    2048

CD inserted:
$ lsblk -b -o VENDOR,MODEL,SIZE,PHY-SEC,LOG-SEC /dev/sr0
VENDOR   MODEL               SIZE PHY-SEC LOG-SEC
hp       hp_DVDRW_GUE1N 627656704    2048    2048

DVD inserted:
$ lsblk -b -o VENDOR,MODEL,SIZE,PHY-SEC,LOG-SEC /dev/sr0
VENDOR   MODEL                SIZE PHY-SEC LOG-SEC
hp       hp_DVDRW_GUE1N 3353346048    2048    2048

I noticed that when there is no disc or disc is loading, this command above is still reporting last used disc even when it's already gone. Meaning, kernel does not know there is no disc. I noticed it when DVD disc was loading and until it did, lsblk was happily reporting that 627656704 bytes CD is still there for every userspace app to use and send queries to. And queries are being sent, my guess is from file manager, to query and display CD name etc. if there is one, because it thinks everything is fine and its okay to ask.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/