Re: USB enumeration issue

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 11:12 PM Matthew McAllister
<matthew.mcallister.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, looking at old kernel logs from back when it was working would be useful (/var/log/kernel.N.gz where N if the biggest number there is). Hopefully that will show what device is on usb 1-5 (though I believe port numbers may change over time and depend on what's plugged in).
>
> That was the perfect piece of advice. I found the exact log where the issue began:
>
> 2023-01-06T20:20:28.225698-08:00 cockpit kernel: [   25.515977] usb 1-5: Failed to suspend device, error -110
>
> Coincidentally, this is also exactly when the bluetooth on my motherboard stopped working. (The WiFi is on the same MT7921K chipset and still works weirdly).
>
> Can you suggest any steps other than straight-up RMA'ing the mobo? (That might fix the USB-C as well, heh.)

You can sometimes turn off radios and buses in the BiOS/UEFI. But that
feels like papering over the problem. As far as I know, that's the
only way to turn off some radios and buses.

You may find something wrong with the motherboard during a visual
inspection. You can look for leaking capacitors and cracked solder
joints. But there's not much you can do besides replacing a cap or
reflowing solder.

You will probably be more satisfied if you send the board back for
repair. Or switch motherboard brands.

Jeff