Can't install Debian to CF card in SATA adapter

Folks,

I'm building a new NAS box which has five HDDs in a RAID 5
configuration, using Linux software RAID.  Historically this has caused
some challenges when dealing with /boot.  Some time back I set upon the
idea of using an IDE > CF adapter and putting a small CF card in there
for /boot, with the logic that one could dd an image of the drive and
store it in a safe place, should the CF card die.

As time progressed I moved on to SATA > CF adapters.

For my latest incarnation, I find myself with a UEFI machine.  I've
follwoed my usual practice.  Debian seemed to install just fine and I
rebooted at the end of the installation but the Debian was not listed as
a boot option in the EFI NVRAM.  Further, booting to the EFI Shell, I
can access the EFI parition, cd to EFI/debian and manaully call
shimx64.efi, giving the following output:

Reloc 0 block size 0 is invalid
Relocation failed: Unsupported
Failed to load imagE: Unsupported
start_image() returned Unsupported

I have tried changing the CF card twice, as well as changing the CF
adapter but no dice.  I tried swapping out the adaper with a spare SSD I
had to hand and everything worked just fine this time.

I do have a near identitcal motherboard in another server, where I have
successfully used the SATA > CF trick, so I'm a bit perplexed as to what
may be going on here.

Please could anyone suggest any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Mike.