Re: Server Static IP and At&T's BGW210

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 19:58 David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

If your AT&T U-verse residential gateway is anything like mine (Pace
5268AC FXN), it will have a web server/ control panel accessed

Yes, mine router is similar

I own and recommend "Networking for System Administrators" by Lucas:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking#n4sa

I do too.

And your email helps.

I certainly have a firewall on the computer to go public. And I’m restricting external ssh to one of my remote hosts while I build out my planned set up . I’m just trying to understand the way the ATT router translates to my physical situation.

Conceptually, it seems to me it’s like having two houses: (1) one with the private LAN like most internet connected houses these days and (2) a house like my remote service and hosts at Dedispec where all hosts have one or more public IPs open to ssh from the internet.

On the ATT router I turn on the public subnet and assign one of the static IPs to my desired host.

Eventually I’m going to fancify things with other  network hardware, but not for a while.

Thanks, David.

-Tom