Re: Cloning a disk: partclone?

On 19.01.2023 23:49, Tom Browder wrote:
On my main PC, I would like to clone my boot drive onto another disk for 2 reasons:

1. Use a larger disk for the main drive
2. Create an emergency recovery disk

A new Debian package to me is "partclone". Questions:

+ Can that be used for both purposes?
Yes. Keep in mind, that it will clone partitions (with filesystems) separately, so you have to create partition table on destination drive manually.
Procedure will depend on what partition scheme your source drive uses: MBR or GPT.
In case of MBR, you will have to install bootloader on a destination drive after cloning.
In case of GPT, cloning the EFI partition should be enough to boot from a destination drive.

+ Can it do a complete clone on an active disk? Or do I need a live CD or USB stick?
No, it can't. Partitions have to be unmounted for partclone to work.
Since you will be creating LiveCD on USB stick and going offline anyway it might be better (easier) to use Clonezilla for this task.
Clonezilla is customizable, has curses GUI, uses partclone under the hood and also automates other things, like partition creation on a destination drive, bootloader installation, etc.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org