Re: How can I check (and run) if an *.exe is a DOS or a Windows program?

On Sat, Jan 07, 2023 at 02:42:38PM +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 07/01/2023 um 12:13 schrieb Timothy M Butterworth:
> > All .exe files are windows, linux does not use .exe! You can run Windows
> > applications on Linux using: WINE, CrossOver Office or Steam Proton. I
> > recommend CrossOver Office, I use it to play windows games on Linux.
> >

> So you're saying DOS didn't run .EXE files?

Of course it did. The file endings for DOS executables were .com and
.exe. But .exe is more of an umbrella for different formats, not all
of them natively viable in "pure" DOS (whatever this, again, may be).

As usual, Wikipedia [1] gives some good leads for those interested.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.exe